Frequently Asked Questions
1. What certifications are available?
A: The BSDA (BSD Associate) tests basic BSD system administration skills. This exam has been available since February 2008. The BSDP (BSD Professional) certification will test more advanced BSD system administration skills. The BSDP is currently a work in progress.
2. How much do the certification exams cost?
A:Paper based versions of the BSDA exam are available at organized events and cost $75 USD. Computer based versions of the BSDA exam are available at ISO Quality Testing Centers and cost $150 USD. The price of the BSDP exam has not been set yet.
3. Is certification available in my country?
A: The BSDCG organizes paper based exams at conferences and events. Events are listed on the Events page of the exam registration website. If your conference, user group, employer, or school would like to host an exam event, Contact us and we will assist you in organizing and advertising the exam event. In addition to exam events, the BSDCG has partnered with Schroeder Measurement Technologies and their network of testing centers to provide a computer based version of the exam. If you would like to become a testing center, Contact us for the requirements.
4. I'm up to the challenge of becoming BSD certified. How do I prepare?
A: Detailed exam objectives for the BSDA have been published in several languages and are available as part of the BSDA Certification Requirements document. This document includes a Command Reference which is available as a separate download. All BSDA related downloads are available from the BSDA Certification page of the website.
The BSDP Certification Requirements are available for download from the BSDP Certificaton page of the website.
The BSD Certification Group encourages testing candidates to create a networking lab comprised of BSD operating systems. As you learn and practice administration skills, maintain a written log which details your installations, configurations and troubleshooting sessions. Your notes will prove an invaluable study aid and will help you to gauge your current skill level against the exam objectives.
5. How do I register to take the exam?
Registration is a 3-step process:
- Obtain a BSDCG ID. Your ID is permanent and can be used to register for any BSD certification exam.
- Determine if you wish to take the paper based exam at an event or a computer based exam at a testing center.
- Pay for the exam. If you pay for a paper based exam, the exam proctor will be notified of your registration and payment. If you pay for a computer based exam, you will receive an additional email within 24 hours containing the details that you will need to schedule an exam at a testing center. This email contains the rescheduling requirements should you need to reschedule your exam--it is very important that you follow these requirements to avoid forfeiting your examination fee in addition to paying a rescheduling fee.
6. What is the minimum score to pass the BSDA exam?
A: Scoring of the exam is based on a psychometrically scaled score between 200 and 700. A scaled score of 500 or more is needed to pass the exam. You do not lose points for answering a question incorrectly. However, the scoring algorithm that is used does note how your answers to each question compare to the answers provided by all other exam takers.
7. How long does it take to get the results?
A: Paper based exams are manually scored so it take 4-6 weeks to receive your examination score by email. If you don't receive an email within 6 weeks please contact register at bsdcertification dot org. Computer based exams are scored automatically at the end of the exam. The test administrator will print out your score report and give you a copy for your records.
8. Can an employer check that I really passed the exam?
Candidates who passed the exam will receive their certificate with official seal, a welcome letter and their BSDCG ID and certificate expiry date with the BSDCG logo on a business card. Additional confirmation can be requested by sending an email to chair at bsdcertification dot org.
9. Will my certification expire?
Certifications are valid for a period of 5 years. Your certificate and BSDCG ID card will indicate the beginning and expiry dates of your certification.